A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Our St. Patrick's Day Week


I hope you had a nice St. Patrick's Day!  Prior to my Ancestry DNA test, I didn't know I was 18% Irish, so this year the holiday has more significance for me.  Did you know that "saint" Patrick taught people to read and write as he traveled from village to village?  I decided to read some old Irish tales as part of my way of celebrating.



I gave Jack a solar science kit with 6 different models to build, thinking this would be good hands on science.


However, he had a problem with the motor.  Josiah tried to help him and said one of the pieces is the wrong size.  I haven't messed with it yet, but it has not been the hit I was hoping for so far.


Miss Katie finished book one of Spelling You See level B and started book 2.  Unfortunately, she's 7 weeks behind in spelling, so we'll be doing some summer school in that area.  Jack and Hannah are only 2 weeks behind now.  We have been working really hard to catch up!


I don't ask questions.  I just snap the picture.  Bri got asked to prom this week.  Talk about planning ahead!  It's still a month away.


We celebrated the first day with temps over 80* with frozen yogurt!  (Hannah was sitting next to me, Bri was at a baseball game.)  We also celebrated Pi Day (3.14) with pizza pies, but I didn't take a picture of that.  Eli got asked to the Sadie Hawkins dance, which was this week, but it was super casual, and I don't have a picture to share.  He did bring home some tiny little photo booth pictures, which were cute.


We all found some green to wear for St. Patrick's Day!


And we are working on making rainbow jello cups.  Daddy couldn't find purple, so we mixed blue and black cherry.


Here we've got purple and blue set, and we're getting ready to add...


...green!  Green jello is my favorite.  My grandma used to make it for me when I was a little girl.  She even had a little green glass bowl with feet to put it in.  ...I wonder what weird little things my kids and grandkids will remember about me?  


My Sam photo dog tag came in the mail.  I had one with Zach's picture when he was in boot camp.  Keeps them close to my heart.  We got our "travel phone call" from Sam this week.  First time I've heard his voice since January.  It was only 3 minutes, but he sounds good.  I'm really looking forward to his graduation next month!


We made rainbow necklaces by stringing generic fruit circle cereal on satin cord.  I thought about dipping the ends of the satin cord in Mod Podge and letting it dry to make it easier for the girls to string the loops, but time got away from me, and they did just fine.  Satin cord is more sturdy and rigid than yarn is.


Since Brayden was coming to spend the weekend with us, I made one with the kids and gave it to Brayden later.


I think they turned out pretty cute.

I'm hoping we get more school work done this week.  Last week I had a bit of spring fever, and excused the kids to go play after spelling most mornings.  We did, however, finish up Farmer Boy and move on to Charlotte's Web in Literature.  And we began a new read aloud, in preparation for our trip next month!


This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

2 comments: