A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Our Week with 3 Field Trips and a Birthday


This was a really busy week for us!  We had 3 field trips and a morning spent at Shriners.


8:30 pm, and Eli comes to me and says, "I need to make an ancient artifact for school tomorrow."  Homeschool packrat for the win.  I pulled out a kit from Art in History and he got to work making this Roman Oil Lamp.
 

The upstairs boys room, while no longer inhabited, is far from empty.


It's getting closer to being paintable, but I feel like there's still a long way to go.


Jack's dresser is going to stay upstairs and just move out into the weird little open space between bedrooms when it's time to paint.


This is really kind of sad.  Our only art this week was painting the stems of our wooden apples brown.


Did you catch the Pie Making Field Trip we took on Tuesday?  This glacier-slow art project we're working on is going to have something to do with that trip.  Eventually.  I hope.  It's adorable in my head.


Brianna's school pictures are back!  And we cut most of the blonde tips off her hair this week.  So where are Eli's school pictures?  Well, Eli will have to take make-up pictures because picture day was also concussion doctor visit day, and he didn't go to school.


Miss Katie turned 6 this week!  This picture was taken as we were leaving Shriners.  (Not how I'd want to spend my birthday, but Daddy made the appointment.)  We were there from 8:30 to 11:45, so we were really done by this point.  After going every week the last 3 weeks, we get a 4 week break.  The girls' new legs should be ready to pick up at the end of October.


After spending all our good "school time" at Shriner's, I delegated some of our learning to the computer.


We had Chinese food for Katie's birthday dinner, and then it was time for...


CAKE!  One day in the van Brianna said, "I love having a big family..." and my heart warmed, thinking she enjoyed her siblings.  Until she finished it with, "...because we get cake and ice cream more often!"  All about the cake.  And the mint moose tracks.


Without Josiah and Sam here, we went with a small cake.  The house feels empty without the big boys here.  It's weird having only 3 kids all day, and only 5 in the evenings.


Somehow, I missed getting pictures of her opening her presents from us (Hello Kitty ballerina and books), but I remembered to get a cake-faced picture of her with her new sketch pad from Buddy and Grampagino in Nevada.


Friday brought another field trip, this time to a local farm.  Afterwards, I pulled out some autumn books from our collection of readers, and Katie has been reading/looking at these during naps the last couple days.  I guess if my "baby" is 6, I should probably start calling it quiet time instead of nap time.

Jack and Hannah wrote about our pie making trip on cute apple pie themed paper from Year Round Homeschooling.  I'll have posts about Gold Bug Mine and our Farm Field Trip up soon.

We'll have to do a day of spelling over the weekend because I don't want to get further behind in that than we already are.  This coming week, we have one appointment for Hannah, and a field trip to Apple Hill with Grammy.  Hopefully, we'll be able to get more of our regular school stuff done!  It's nice to get out and do all our autumn field trips now, before the weather turns cold and wet.


This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

8 comments:

  1. What an awesome week.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! And congrats to you, on your son going off to camp! :)

      Delete
  2. I love how you write, "The girls' legs will be ready to pick up in a few weeks," so casually. 😊 That's a hilarious phrase when listened to by an outsider such as myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what can become "normal" within a family, isn't it? I do a pretty good zombie impression when I'm dragging Hannah's leg to her room from beside my bathtub. The teens just roll their eyes at me.

      Delete
  3. what a great week! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! We like to keep things interesting around here, lol. :)

      Delete
  4. Heck yeah, CAKE! I mean brothers and sisters are great and all but we are talking CAKE!!! 😉 Just Kidding. I so happy she enjoyed her party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny. :) I'm not a big fan of cake, personally, but the kids sure love it.

      Delete