A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Friday, May 6, 2016

Our Week with a Surprise Doctor Visit


This ended up being a busy week!  For only having a couple things on the calendar, that is.  We didn't get as much schooling done as I would have liked.


Luke had his neurologist appointment on Monday.  Nothing new there.  The new neuro felt he should be in Physical Therapy, but honestly, he never met a single one of the PT goals on his IFSP in EI, and I think he met one PT goal on his IEP in school last year.


In contrast, Luke came home from his 4 months away having learned to scoot around the house on his bottom, and he has recently learned how to sit from standing.  Not from 25 minutes of PT a week (which he's no longer getting), but because I stand him up to pull up his pants/shorts after changing his diaper, and leave him in a standing position to strengthen his legs.  He's not crazy about standing, so he learned to let go of the crib bars and sit himself down.


If you missed it, we did a spring flowers art project that was a lot of fun.

Before... and after.

Hmm, notice anything different?  She had a friend dye her hair for her.  She's planning to do color over the summer, but hair must be a "natural hair color" during the school year.


I spent some time in the sewing room and made a blanket for Project Linus.  I used to make blankets for them several years ago, but between life being overwhelming and the sewing room being so full of junk, I quit.  Feels good to be able to participate again.


Front is a Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See? print, back is golden yellow minkee.


Tuesday we ended up with a surprise 2+ hour doctor's visit.  Katie was coughing a little on Monday, and woke up wheezing on Tuesday.  She's doing better now, but she was really having a hard time for a while.  If it doesn't sound too terrible for me to say this, I'm grateful for the chance we had to hang out just the two of us, and snuggle.  And laugh with the x-ray tech, who gave Katie 4 princess stickers for being such a rock star patient.


Wednesday was Brianna's last Home soccer game.  They're doing well, so there will be some playoffs, but the season is drawing to a close.


And there she is!  00 in the white uniform.  The uniforms are numbered by size, so she's the team peanut.  She didn't get much playing time, but I'm glad I got to go see her play.


As for this guy, swim has ended (all but the banquet).  With only 4 weeks of school left, he's focusing on making sure he passes all his classes.


Something else very exciting happened Wednesday night.  Annaliese flew back to the USA.  We're looking forward to seeing her for Sam's graduation.


Do you do the airplane game at your house?  I used to do it with all my babies and toddlers.  Bri still does it with Katie once in a while.  Well, Eli's got some strong legs, because he's lifting Brianna!

In school this week, we covered our 3rd president, the Haitian Revolt, and the Industrial Revolution.  We also covered the Louisiana Purchase.  I learned which president made the purchase, who he bought it from, and why the seller needed cash.  Somehow I missed all of that when I was in school!  We also gave a carrot blue dye to drink for a couple days and then cut it open to see the dye creeping up the inside.  I didn't get a picture of that, but it was pretty cool.

Next week we'll learn about Lewis and Clark, more about Napoleon, and begin learning how to research and write state reports.


This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

14 comments:

  1. A busy week on your front. I get it about having some one on one time even when it is due to illness. Sometimes I think illness is there to slow us all down. Glad she is feeling better now.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does slow us down! I've got the cold that's swept through the house, and I feel like I'm slogging through molasses. Fortunately, Katie's doing great, so my hope is that it passes quickly.

      Delete
  2. Sure does sound like a busy week. Sorry to hear your daughter was sick but at least you got to spend some quality time together. What a great way to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any chance for one on one time is savored. :) I got out with just Eli yesterday. Only to Old Navy to pick him up some shorts & t-shirts, but it was a nice one on one time just the same.

      Delete
  3. Sure does sound like a busy week. Sorry to hear your daughter was sick but at least you got to spend some quality time together. What a great way to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm delighted to find your blog (came over via Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers). I, too, homeschool a large family and have adopted children. I hope your little one's breathing issues are easily resolved, and I sympathize with you avoiding weekly therapy appointments--we're doing our OT at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out your blog! It's always nice to find kindred spirits. :)
      Lukey used to get therapy at home before he turned 3. In some ways it was nice, since we didn't have to go out for it, but I felt like I had to pick up the house and keep the other kids busy and out of the way, which was a challenge.

      Delete
  6. I still do the airplane game sometimes! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It's the simple things in life, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  7. Love the flowers I will be checking out the post to try it with my daughter. We used to love the airplane game when we were little and I did it with the girls when they were babies. I have to try it with my 3 year old tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though the flower project didn't turn out the way I thought it would ahead of time, we still had fun with it. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, that sure was a busy week! I do love those flower pictures. We just recently learned about the Louisiana Purchase and Lewis and Clark, and yeah, I am definitely learning things I didn't remember learning in school. I love learning about early American history, so we are loving My Father's World Adventures, though we are a bit behind looking at what time of the year it is.
    Anyhow, thanks for stopping by Tots and Me and sharing. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know the Carole P. Roman books, "If you were me and lived in..."? She's got some new ones out, and we just got Colonial America. *Perfect* for what we've been studying! :)

      Delete