A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

St. Patrick's Day Week


Hope you had a nice St. Patrick's Day!  We had our corned beef a few days early, it's a favorite of mine.  Aside from wearing green, and yummy food, we don't usually do much to "celebrate" this holiday, but this year we managed a bit more.



Sometimes I look up from reading and can't help but laugh.  We've had these Flat Fish for years, and Jack just recently pulled them out again and was spelling and making sentences with them.


The boys drew towers in art.


Hannah brought home this oil pastel shamrock from school.


Brayden was here a couple days, and we made a crayon resist watercolor Easter egg project.


My plan was to have the kids cut out their eggs, and make grass and glue everything on a background, like Eli's here.


However, cutting was a challenge for some, so this is as far as we got.  (Brayden's orange egg went home before I managed to get a picture of it.)


On one day, we used glue to trace shamrocks I printed, then we sprinkled salt generously over the wet glue.  The following day, the kids used green liquid watercolor to paint over the salt.


It was really neat the way the salt sucked up the paint.


While they painted, I read them The Story of St. Patrick: More Than Shamrocks and Leprechauns.  (Don't worry, lol, I didn't pay $30 for the book!  I got it from VOTM.)


Here's another one of those things that goes on when I'm reading aloud for history or science.  Jack sorted all the pouch lids by color, and was making neat designs with them.


Katie was actually playing with the Match Stacks while Jack played with the pouch lids.  She had quite the elaborate story going.  She was telling me that they ladybug pieces and the bird pieces were up in a tree (on the can).


I had a 5x7" mat from an 8x10" frame laying around, so I added a little washi tape to it, and added a St. Patrick's Day picture to it.


The big kids had the day off from school on Friday.  Bri decided to paint while the boys were working on an upcoming art review.  I read to them, and she said it was just like old times, when she was homeschooling last year.

Linking up with Home to 4 Kiddos and:
For the Display of His Splendor

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment