A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Friday, March 6, 2015

Our Week - With Terra Cotta Warriors


This week has flown by!  Monday, Katie had an appointment at Shriners.  She's going to be getting a new leg, and it's going to be a different kind of leg.


I'm pretty excited for her, and I'll share more about the difference when she gets it.


I had a fun photoshoot with Katie for Petit Pomme, and we got photo-bombed by the cat!


We painted Chinese Terra Cotta Warriors from Art In History.


We've used several Art In History kits before, and I just love them.  Everything you need is included, so it's open the box, access the teacher's guide online, and you're ready to go!

If you'd like to see some of our other ones, we've done Canopic Jars, Tomb Walls, Greek Drinking Vessels, and Greek Kraters.  We're going to be doing Japanese Tea Bowls soon.


First we painted the whole warrior light brown.


I so want to go see these in person someday.


The nice thing about these projects is that I can read aloud to the boys while they're painting.


AIH also sells a sealer kit, if you want to give it a protective gloss seal when you're done.


We also learned about Japan's history this week, and the boys wrote haikus.  Eli had been building with his K'nex when I was reading, and you can see the influence that had on his poem.


K'nex
Not a toy, just fun
Boats, planes, cars, even crossbows
Imagine, then build


In art this week, we went outdoors for inspiration and sketching, then painted inside.


It's good to be reminded to get out of the house.  The fresh air and sunshine felt nice.


We worked with watercolors today, and were reminded that they don't always stay put as nicely as thicker paints like tempera or acrylic.


Jack's piece was inspired by the flowers Paul planted for me for my birthday.


Eli used the houses at the end of the street for inspiration, but went with abstract colors.

Miss Hannah lost another tooth this week.  She's sporting a cute gap-toothed smile.  I'll have to get a picture of it to share.


In other news, I'm a new Fundanoodle Ambassador!  I'd love to have you like my new business Facebook page.  I'll be sharing about some of our favorite products over the next few weeks.

For the Display of His Splendor

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great week. I had to chuckle of the photo bomb with the cat. The warriors was painted beautifully. The knex boat was awesome. I love when kids get creative with legos and knew and blocks. Soon we will hopefully get outside a bit. The temps are going to be warmer and we have to wait for the snow to melt. I love fundanoodle. We used it when my daughter was small for her learning to write. Now I may go back to it again for my son. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great week! I even had a birthday! :) Today, Eli made an entire fleet of helicopters from his k'nex after seeing a smaller k'nex set online. He patterned his after the picture, and had enough pieces to make 5 of them, lol.

      Delete
  2. Those are so cool! I've looked at the kits from Art in History a few times and have some of them on my wish list. Nice to see a finished product! Thanks for linking this to the Virtual Fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've really enjoyed them! Every year, I pour over our history book and the AIH website to decide which ones to order. :)

      Delete
  3. Those terracotta warriors turned out great! Love the little crossbow in the first pic compilation. So fun! And lovely art. I love watercolor. Sounds like a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crossbow actually shoots k'nex arrows! I was really impressed with Eli's engineering skills. He tinkered and tinkered with it until he got it to work the way he wanted it to. :)

      Delete