A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pirates of Financial Freedom


Arr!  Ahoy Matey!  We be talkin' about a book today, me hearties!


Pirates of Financial Freedom is one of a kind.  This book is a fun cross between an adventure story and a financial literacy textbook.  I read this book aloud to Eli and Jack during our homeschooling, and over Thanksgiving break, I caught Brianna and Samuel listening in.  We actually had a great group discussion about business expenses and net worth.

My kids like to draw while I read - this treasure chest was from Eli

Author Joey Fehrman explains many financial issues, including the difference between stocks and bonds, in easy to understand language.  I laughed out loud at the female pirate, Sandy's, joke, "What's the difference between a man and a bond?"  A bond matures!  This sort of hilarity is typical of the book, which kept my boys interested.

Jack's parrot

In any pirate story, you have a captain, and some crew.  When I asked the boys who their favorite character was, Eli said his was Rusty.  Rusty is the youngest pirate on the crew, and he is the source of many of the puns in the story.  Joey, who is the captain's non-pirate son, spends a lot of time explaining financial concepts to the crew, and has to use very simple terms for Rusty's sake, which benefits the reader.  At one point, Rusty wants to buy a parrot, but because of the concepts he's learned, he understands that this is a want and not a need, and decides to save up for the parrot.  It's not a "no," it's a "not yet."

Eli's parrot

Our family enjoyed this book, and not just because of the gold coins they got to munch on while I read aloud.  I felt it covered a lot of material in a very approachable manner, and we were able to discuss why our family has made some of the choices that we have.


There is a romance angle between Joey and Sandy, and I did have to edit the lollipop scene while I was reading to the boys, but then this book is aimed at teens and young adults.  There is a bit of grown up humor and reference to "Coke bottle curves" when describing a woman.


Pirates of Financial Freedom is available in hardcover and ebook.  For just a few more days, you can get $5 off this great book by using the GC code:  TreasuredMoms at their website.


My little pirates thoroughly enjoyed their gold pieces (you can see the one Eli flipped spinning on the table) and they're now better equipped to make sound financial decisions right from the start.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! A great way to introduce finances to young people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. We were brainstorming other topics that could be covered this way, like auto maintenance, natural health care, animals, many areas of science...

      Delete
  2. We enjoyed this book, too, and my kids learned a lot about finances that I never got around to explaining to them before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so MUCH to teach our kids to prepare them for life, isn't there?

      Delete
  3. I think your site ate my comment. Anywho, what a wonderful book for explaining very complicated subjects very simply. I might even benefit. Thanks for the excellent review! I'm pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning! :) I usually tune Paul out when he starts talking about retirement, but reading this has me thinking I should pay more attention, lol.

      Delete