A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Faux Gingerbread Houses

We have a tradition in our family.


Every December, I buy frosting and graham crackers, and waaaayy too much candy, and we make houses.


This is the first year that Hannah has really been able to get the hang of it.  I did a simple structure for her, and she added all the candy on and around it.  Notice the Kai Lan band aid she's sporting over her stitches?  


Samuel decided he was going to put the candy IN the gingerbread house.  


Josiah got tired of his structures falling apart a couple years ago, so he goes for a solid stack of graham crackers, with frosting in between for stability.  


I really enjoyed watching Hannah get into it this year.  


Structures are beginning to take shape.  


It's interesting to see what everyone makes.  


This is the backside of my stable.  The candy corn was supposed to be a star, but the kids tell me the points should have been facing out.  


Looks like the muffin tin needs a refill in this shot.


Surprisingly, not as much candy gets consumed during construction as you might think.  


Josiah's cabin, with green cobblestone walkway.  


My nativity scene.  
The adoring toucan on the left is scaring Mary and Joseph a little, but he really just wants a peek (not a peck!) at Baby Teddy Graham Jesus, wrapped in swaddling frosting, and laying in a manger.  


Katie wasn't sure about the whole thing.  She's a bit young for it yet.  


This is Josiah thinking he's not in the picture I'm taking of his finished project.  


Brianna went a little crazy on the building part.


This is Eli's finished project.  Candy corn fence, all the way up to Santa bear on the chimney.


I think he got almost as much frosting on his hoodie as his plate, but he had fun.  


Brianna's masterpiece.  Front


And back.  Unfortunately, it had an earthquake about a couple hours after this photo.  

But a good time was had by all.  

Oh, and for the Lukey fans!  Where was he during all this?  


Well, Paul was out in the garage working on a project,


and he took Lukey out to "help."


See?  
Josiah later fed him some candy corn.  I wasn't thrilled about it, but fortunately, Luke didn't much care for it.  

Ni Hao Yall

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

8 comments:

  1. What a fun project and family tradition! You've got some talented builders in the bunch for sure! Love the shot of Josiah holding the plate away from himself to be out of the picture. Hilarious that you posted it like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often get pictures of my camera shy ones, so I'm willing to resort to a little subterfuge. :)

      Delete
  2. What a great tradition! These turned out so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It started because I'm too lazy to bake gingerbread, and too cheap to buy everyone their own kit house! But it works well for us. :)

      Delete
  3. What creativity and fun memories. Also great your husband is creative with wood do any of your children work with wood also. My son use to enjoy it when he was younger.(young adult now) might enjoy again later.

    God bless

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! In fact, I got a new shelf hung just today! :) Handy guy to have around.

      The boys haven't really done much woodworking.

      Delete
    2. We are planning to do graham cracker houses this week too! And I love that photo of your older son, the one where he thinks he is not in it. I have a few of my son like that too. :-)

      Delete
  4. Looks like everyone had a great time! I wanted to do graham cracker gingerbread houses this year but it seems like that's one of the things we won't have time for. Love what the kids created!

    ReplyDelete