A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Friday, November 29, 2013

Our favorite after Thanksgiving turkey recipe


Many families have leftover turkey in the fridge today.  I thought now would be a good time to share with you our family's favorite leftover turkey recipe:  Turkey Enchilada Casserole!  


It's a simple recipe (all my recipes are simple, I don't have the patience for complex!) and one that's easy to make with "helpers" in the kitchen.  


Take a 9x13 pan, spray the bottom with non-stick spray, and have one of your helpers tear up flour tortillas.  Layer tortilla pieces on the bottom of the pan.  Then cut turkey into small pieces and place a layer of turkey over the tortillas.  


Drizzle green enchilada sauce over the turkey, then sprinkle generously with jack cheese.  (Variation:  if your family likes spicy, you could use part pepper jack.)  

Add another layer of tortilla pieces, then another layer of turkey, then another layer of sauce, then another layer of cheese.  If it's tall enough for you, add sliced olives to the top.  If it's not tall enough yet, repeat all layers, and then add the sliced olives.  


Your turkey is already cooked, so you're really just melting the cheese and merging the flavors together.  I use a 350* oven, but if you're already cooking something else, you can put it in at whatever temperature the oven is at and just watch it to see when the cheese is melted.  

Once it's all melty, take it out and let it sit for a while to solidify, otherwise it will be Turkey Enchilada Soup (which doesn't sound half bad, actually).  The presentation is supposed to be somewhat lasagna like in appearance.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.  

Bon appetit!  

Linking up with:  

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/12/try-new-recipe-tuesday-december-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Lisa! I'm only good for about one recipe a quarter, though. I'm a mediocre cook, lol. I tell myself I have other talents. ;)

      Delete
  2. I'd never feel the Christmas season without one of these on the table. Especially when there's so many mouthwatering turkey recipes lying all around the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! :) I'm already looking forward to it on Friday.

      Delete