A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Scavenger's Daughters

In January, I had the honor of reviewing Kay Bratt's book, A Thread Unbroken.  Lovely book.  I was flattered and pleased when she emailed me recently and asked if I'd like to review for her again.  Of course I would!


This time, the book is The Scavenger's Daughters, book one in a series of 3.

Author Kay Bratt lived in China for 5 years, and you can tell she brought a huge piece of China home in her heart.  Her talented writing drips with local color.  Being recently home from China myself, it's easy to imagine myself back there, as I get caught up in the story.  You can feel her understanding of Chinese culture in phrases like, "...in China, the mother usually had the last word--or more accurately whispered it in her husband's ear and let him speak it."

The story starts with a glimpse into a young man's suffering during the Cultural Revolution, and then cuts to modern day, with a suspenseful secret that happened sometime between.  The main characters are endearing, and I found myself rooting for them to overcome the challenges they face.

Maybe it's because compassion for orphans is a cause so very near and dear to my heart that this book left such an impression on me.  It exposed to me a group of people I hadn't previously thought about much:  those in China who do what they can to care for orphans outside an orphanage setting.  I was reminded of this video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QijM72iwSs

In our society, where people seem driven to acquire more and better stuff at all costs, this book was a beautiful picture of what truly matters:  family.  One can be happy with very little of the stuff we chase after, if you are surrounded by people who love you.

 

The list price for The Scavenger's Daughters is $14.95.  Amazon carries the paperback version for $8.79 or the Kindle version for $5.99.  I am looking forward to Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughter, Book Two) when it comes out around Christmas time to see what happens next in this special family.



Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote!  Thanks for clicking for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment