A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Safety First!

 photo greenbarkpress_zps9eade074.jpg

I had the honor of being able to review Look Left, Look Right, Look Left Again by Ginger Pate, from Greene Bark Press.

 photo lookleftlookrightlookleftagain_zps08f68e39.jpg

This fun little board book, which retails for $8.50, is designed to teach kids to cross the street safely.


Hannah was my reviewer this time around.  I think this may be her first review, actually.  One of us walks her to and from school each day, so it is a timely subject for us, and a great life skill to practice.

The premise of the story is that the main character, a duck, needs to get to a mailbox to mail a card.  In order to do so, he has to cross streets.  After learning the correct safety rules to do so, the duck displays confidence in crossing alone.


We read the book together, and then went out to practice what we'd learned.  Sam graciously agreed to be her student so I could take pictures.


Looking left!


Looking right!  


Crossing safely.


And again.

It's easy to see why Look Left, Look Right, Look Left Again is an International Book Awards finalist.   I am glad to add this book to our home library, and I look forward to Katie eventually having enough English to understand the concepts it presents.


Although the book is suggested for children aged 3-8, I later caught Hannah (6) and Jack (9) reading it together.  I know from experience Jack's "looking skills" could use some brushing up, so it was nice to have a fun, non-lecture-from-mom way of doing it.

To read more reviews of Look Left, Look Right, Look Left Again, please click below.

Photobucket

 photo DisclaimerGraphic1_zpsf612f371.gif


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote!  Thanks for clicking for us!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is a wonderful review! I love all the photos!

    Thanks so much!

    Warmly,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete