A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Our Safe Families kids 5 weeks in

Celebrate with me!  Miss No is talking!

She is saying her version of "thank you" much more consistently at meal times. Sunday, we had not one, but TWO new words from her: "sock," while getting ready for church, and she spontaneously told Brianna "bye bye" when Bri went out my bedroom door at bedtime. So exciting.  And today, she said, "ALL DONE!"  I feel like they're finally settling in and starting to thrive.


The kids are getting better about playing, too. There's a long way to go yet, but it's a start.


Gogo scrounges floor food every chance he gets. He inspires us to sweep very regularly.  He likes cat food.

I shared some of these pictures on Facebook, but for those who haven't seen them yet:
Aren't they precious at nap time?


Yes, that's a cloth diaper on Gogo.  I was running out of disposables and decided to make the switch.  Problem is, these guys are BIG.  Most of my diapers and covers from Jack and Hannah don't fit them.  So there's some trial and error going on, but at least with 3 in dipes, I have enough dirties to wash often, right?  I was looking at toddler prefolds on Amazon, but was taken aback at the cost, so I went into the sewing room after the babies were in bed and made a couple "prefolds" out of knit terrycloth.  Perfect texture for using a Snappi.  

We used to get a whole lot of this from Miss No. Now, she happily settles down with a board book and chatters to herself. She's really thrived on having a routine and knowing what to expect.

before (I took this the first week they were here)
imagine angry wailing and drool dripping on the floor

after (taken just a few days ago)

It's not all sunshine and roses, of course. She still tells me no occasionally when I ask her to help clean up before lunch or dinner. However, the plus of having a huge family is positive peer pressure. My kids are pretty good sports. They'd come into the kitchen and I'd say loudly, "Are you hungry, Eli? Do you want to eat?" They'd answer yes, and I'd say, "Go pick up 5 toys, and I'll give you your plate." They were great about modeling right responses, and the mess shrunk really fast. Miss No soon realized that if she wanted her plate, she was going to have to help, too. She's gotten decidedly more helpful in other ways lately, too. Putting trash in the garbage for me, putting Gogo's bottles on the kitchen counter, things like that. She's a sweetheart. I just think she's not used to having anyone place expectations on her. It's been a privilege to watch her blossom from an angry, sick little cranky pants, to a funny, cute, sweet little cuddle bug.


One of our Safe Families respite caregivers offered to work one on one with Big Sis, to try and help her past some of her delays.  I jumped at the chance.  She really needs someone pouring into her and as much therapeutic play as possible.  So Big Sis went off to Miss S's house today, and came home having played and gardened and GONE POTTY IN THE TOILET TWICE and having had a wonderful time.  Folks, this is huge.  Miss S and I are trying to mesh schedules to make this happen regularly.  Big Sis NEEDS this.  I'm so thrilled for her to be given this chance to bloom.

We're being told we'll only have them another week, but we'll see what happens.  Again, open hands. If this is the last week, at least we're doing everything we can to help them while they're here.  Please pray that God's will would come about in their lives.  Obviously, I can't get into specifics here, but God knows, and I would so appreciate your prayers for their situation.


Vote For Us @ Top Mommy Blogs  Thank you for taking just a second to click for us!



1 comment:

  1. Your family is making such a difference in their little lives.....may God continue to bless your hard work!

    ReplyDelete