A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

You need to learn math because...

You know how kids ask, "Why do I have to learn this?  I'm never gonna use it."

Something occurred to me today.  I have 3 teenagers.  In 2 years, I'm going to have 5.  FIVE teenagers.  Let that percolate a minute.

This, my friends, is why I wish I'd done better at math when I was in school.

Perhaps then, it would have occurred to me that eventually all those cute little babies and toddlers that I adored so much would GROW UP and all need to be driven to different activities.

There for a while, we had babies coming every 18 months.  At one point, we had a newborn, an 18 month old, a 3 year old, a 4.5 year old, a 6.5 year old, and a 9 year old.  For a couple of weeks, we had 6 kids under 10.

Yet, even though I "knew" that they'd be teens someday, I had no real grasp on what that would look like.  The dizzying baseball, softball, football, homework, school uniforms, scouts, C.A.P., friends, appointments, eating like locusts, "Can you drop me off at...?" aspect of it all.

I like to think I've learned something.  Jack and Hannah are a whole 3 years apart.  Hannah and Katie will be more than 3 years apart.  In fact, we'll have almost exactly the same spacing between Hannah and Katie that we did between Zachary and Annaliese (3 yrs 5 mos).  Which was a really nice spacing.

But the reality is, for all my talk about how nicely spaced these later kids are, I know that if the money fell out of the sky, I'd be begging Paul to bring home a little boy with Katie, spacing be damned.

I guess I haven't learned that much after all.

Maybe that's why Paul needs to be the one to help the older kids with their math.  I never was very good at it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please take a minute to click the box below.

Vote For Use @ Top Mommy Blogs

4 comments:

  1. This is such a charming post, Shecki. I love everything about it. Beautifully written, a beautiful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I adore my teens, and they really are a lot of fun, but man can they eat! LOL

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It ended up being not so bad, really. We currently have 4 teens at home, with one leaving this month, and another leaving in January. I imagine life will seem dull without them. :)

      All the younger kids are spaced further apart, so we'll never have quite so many teens at once again.

      Delete