A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Totally irreverant Bible study thoughts

I like to set the ipad up in the bathroom in the morning, and let this deep voice with just a hint of an accent read to me while I'm getting ready. I'm using the You Version ap, but I'm sure there are other Bible aps out there.

I've hit the part in Exodus where they're talking about the priestly garments. The first designer clothing, so to speak. God tells Moses exactly how He wants these special clothes to look for Aaron and his sons. --Actually, the part about the breastplate with the different stones was rather interesting, and I found myself wondering if there was a unit study available about the 12 stones. Note to self, check CurrClick for that later.

At any rate, it tells that these special garments are to be made out of special fibers by skilled workers. These outfits were a Big Deal. I imagine it would have been an honor to have worked on them. I "read" on past the bells and pomegranates, and get to the part where God instructs Moses on how to consecrate the priests. If you've never read it, I'm in Exodus 28-29 this morning. God basically says okay now wash the priests, put them in these great new duds, and sprinkle BLOOD all over them.

I'm thinking what on Earth would one of Aaron's sons' wives have said?? I mean, these outfits they had made would have been treated with the same reverence that we give, say, a bridesmaid dress before the wedding of a sister or dear friend. Hung up carefully. Protected. The kids could look but not touch. Kept CLEAN, for crying out loud! The Big Day (consecration) comes, dude goes off to the temple for a few hours, comes home, and his wife takes one look at him and says, "What the heck happened to you?! You look like you and your brothers have been flinging ram's BLOOD on each other all day!" Guy looks down, scrapes his toe in the dirt, peeks up at his wife sheepishly, "Well... uh..." I mean, seriously, it's not like they had peroxide back then.



This would be the part of the blog where I tie it in to some modern application and make a poignant point about how the Bible applies to our lives today, and what deep and meaningful lesson I walked out of the bathroom with this morning. :crickets chirping: Yeah, I got nothin'. But I will be just a little bit more grateful for my bottle of Spray & Wash (not to mention the whole washer & dryer thing) as I start my morning load of laundry.

Kinda makes me wonder about all the other stories left out of the Bible. Now, I know, the Bible is sacred and meant to be history/prophesy/instruction/etc, not a story book. I get that. But it sure would be fun to have had some female perspective in there every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment