A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

I can't make this stuff up!

I wasn't going to post because I don't have any pictures to share, and really, what fun is a blog with no pictures?? But the very unbelievableness of my life compels me to write.

I recently read someone's "Weekly Wrap Up" blog post, and I thought I'd deviate a little and share my month of March so far.

3/1 Take kids in to dr. Update shots, including Sam's chicken pox vaccine.

3/2 Sam breaks out in pox. Okay. It happens. Not unheard of for a vax'ed kid to get them.


3/3 My birthday. It's a really good friend who will bring their family over to your house for dinner when you have the plague (and it helps that they just got over it, lol).


Like the candles? Dh kinda forgot that part, so he threw on random candles from the last couple birthdays. :eyeroll:

Over the next 11 days we missed out on: Adoption play group, park day, civil air patrol, church, youth, baptism ministry, homeschool co op, etc. We started going a little bit stir crazy. I kept checking the other kids, "Lemme see your belly," and "Lemme feel your head," but none of them showed any sign of spots.

And just as Samuel's pox started crusting over...

3/15 Brianna wakes up poxed. She's HAD them before! That's when I start to get a little annoyed. I check the little boys and have a horrible suspicion about Eli, which is confirmed later in the morning. I said, "I know God won't give me more than I can handle. I guess I should be flattered in His confidence in me."

3/16 Drop Annaliese and her suitcase (the same one Paul used for two whole weeks in China) off at school for a 2 day trip to Disneyland with her sign language class. I'd teased her the night before when she was packing, "Wouldn't it be hilarious if you got down to Disney and woke up Saturday with Chicken Pox?" No, Mom, it wouldn't be funny at all. "You're right, it wouldn't be. I'm sorry." Didn't really think it was a possibility because (same song, second verse) she had the shot. 9 p.m. she texts me and tells me she has fever & headache and feels awful. I text back, "Check your torso." Next text, "I have chicken pox."

Seriously?! My heart broke for her. I felt completely awful for having teased about this very possibility. And the suckiest part of all is that she's 400 miles away from home. On a field trip. With a very contagious disease. Crap! They can't put her on a plane and fly her home because she's contagious. I can't fly down and rent a car and drive her home because I have 4 poxed kids here at home, and Paul is at work until morning.

Eventually, the plan was worked out. She'd stay at the hotel all day while her classmates went off to Disneyland, and Paul would leave from work at 8 a.m. to drive down and get her.

I'm so incredibly bummed for her. Even the other kids have been really sympathetic about how awful it is. Brianna said, "Annaliese missing Disneyland is way worse than me missing out on the Tween/teen Scavenger Hunt [with our homeschool co op].

They're on their way home now. I just talked to Paul, and they should be here in a couple hours. Before midnight, even. Which is an incredibly fast trip, all things considered.

And the rest of us? Well, we had our green foods for St Patrick's Day lunch.

We wore green and shamrock silly bands bracelets. We had corned beef for dinner. But there's definitely a cloud over the house. Bri, Eli, & Furby lay around and itch a lot. Sam has started to lose his mind after being cooped up so long with no end in sight, so he's picking on people, which makes them cry because tempers are short.

And I have another 2 kids who haven't had pox yet. And at least 2 more weeks of quarrantine to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. you're making that up! .. that's terrible. :o( to be quarantined from the happiest place on earth is a story she won't forget! be well, Shecki!

    ReplyDelete